Saturday, January 30, 2010

I feel a tremor in the force..........

Ok, this year is my 20th year recording/creating music. Over that time I have seen many changes, some easier on me and some harder. I have learned my lessons over time and I have come to understand a fundamental universal truth:

The Universe is change, you either change with it or you perish.

With that being the case, I'm here to let you know an insider secret...... the music biz is currently under a very huge shift right now. I see it, I know it, I feel it.......

As a long time audio quality guy I am currently mixing for songs that their final format is smashed MP3's.
I have learned to mix for the lowest quality format. If you are not doing this in 2010 you will be loosing your clients soon.
The major labels are almost at 50% sales from MP3's and CD sales are still dropping 15% per year. Many Malls don't have music stores in them any longer, Wal Mart, Best Buy and other bulk stores are dropping their music space daily. Major Labels are laying off quality people left and right........the End is here for the old system and I for one am happy to see it go.

Don't be sad, embrace the change, look to the future, be blessed and keep making great music.